Saturday, September 17, 2005

My dismal trip back

I just got back all beaten up from Puerto Rico. After eating Mofongos (mashed plantain fattening piece of junk) and the likes for 2 weeks I was looking forward to visiting my Brazilian friend, Joule in SF. I havent seen that dude since college but my plans got squashed..just like that mofo mofongo. I drove an hour to Mayaguez airport or aeropuerto to take the twin propeller plane to San-Juan for connection till the storms ruined my plan. I waited in the airport for an hour or so before deciding to rent a car to drive for 3 hours or so in torrential downpour to San Juan. I missed the connecting flights and was left with two pathetic options.

1. Stay a night at the ritz in San Juan and fly out the next morning reaching Cali at 2 pm
2. Take the last flight (8pm) out of San Juan to NY (JFK), spend a night there and take a morning flight to LAX reaching there at 10am

I chose the latter.

The 767 to nyc got delayed too. I ended up relaxing at the admiral's club lounge, bought some fridge magnets for mom, bought Don-C Rums (2 bottle actually, one for my friend, Wallstein. I need to be nice to him, he might get me a ticket to world cup matches in Germany as he has all the german connections), chilled at the bar drinking Tanqueray on the rocks with Pellegrinos . FINALLY, I boarded the plane 1/2 past 9 and reached NYC past midnight. I was SO GLAD that I got first class but got a bloody headache from sitting with some woman who had a reeking scent on her. I was too tired to read or do any work. I ended up doing fuck-all playing poker on my black berry throughout the trip; not bad, at one time I was $70,000 in the green. Maybe one day I might hone my skills enough to make a trip to vegas.

Since all the hotels in the NYC regions were taken up by UN delegates, I ended up in a comfort inn in Queens!! NYC was nostalgic, I got reminded of my trip to NYC with bubutummy in summer of 2003 and so I gave her a call and we chatted a while about our adventure together. I got to sleep at 1:20am and got up at 5:00am to catch the 6-hour flight to LAX.

The wonderful omlette and chocolate chip cookies was the highlight of my flight. I managed to get business class sheer luck, so no complains. I spent most of the trip in a state of concussion from sheer fatigue.

I got Jim pick me up in his limosine though I am not a big fan of lincolns. For 150 quints, you get a black car service, better than taking a united express shuttle plane . An hour later, I was in office and that was the end of an ordeal...

My expenses came up to $3500 for two weeks...as I inch towards getting enough points on my amex card to get that bose noise cancelling phones. I need that thing before I lose my hearing in total from all these trips. As it is I am partially deaf from my macho days of not wearing ear-plugs during my military / artillery days.

I am back so I can fly out again on Monday to Puerto Rico again!!!! DAMMit. My dismal life is representated by my 1/4 million miles just on American airlines.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have had quite an adventure with bubutummy to be calling her and reminiscence about it.

Oink, oink.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Najib Wong said...

Bro,

Do not get the BOSE (Buy Other Stereo Equipment). If you want noise cancelling, get something else. AKG NC28, Senheiser PX series, Shure e3c, e4, e5c, etymotic er6i, er4, westone um2, super.fi 3 or 5. Anything but freaking bose!

6:04 AM  
Blogger BlackMamba said...

Swiggie,

How can I forget? I remember how we did not get the chinatown bus back and had to take the train. hehe..

12:33 PM  
Blogger BlackMamba said...

Mat,

Whats wrong with Bose? I tried my friends phones, pretty good man. Very quiet u know. I saw the Shure but its super expensive and not sure how good it is. Have u tried it?

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home