Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A reason to stay on the job...

Yesterday, I was busy at work and my colleague Kris, whom I spent 8 months in the coal mine with came over to my desk. "Do you have some time now", he asked. "Not now dude, I need to complete this client document.....wait!, did you just get your new car?". Kris nodded his head. We scrambled down to the parking lot behind my office....There she was...gleaming in an aura of autoerotic glory..a brand new custom built 2006 model AUDI S4!!!!

Kris is very exquisite in his taste of material possessions. He had the car in the fullest options available...totally decked out, including full Bose sound systems, carbon-fiber trim which is not offered to Americans and he had to bug his agent to get it from Germany. The car was built to order for his specs all the way from Germany including GPS systems, specific colors of interior bottons, leather recaro seats, fog lights, trims, etc.

Here are the manufacturers specs....

Engine
Type:V8
Displacement cu in (cc): 250 (4163)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 344(253) / 7000
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 303(410) / 3500
Redline at RPM: n.a.
Brakes & Tires Brakes F/R:
ABS, vented disc/vented disc
Tires F-R: 235/40 R18
Exterior Dimensions & Weight
Length × Width × Height in: 178.9 × 69.1 × 55.7
Weight lb (kg): 3659 (1660)
Performance
Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 5.6
Top Speed mph (km/h): 155 (250)
Fuel Economy EPA city/highway mpg (l/100 km): n.a. (13.3)

We took the car for a spin. Kris was gracious enough to let me drive her. The steering wheel initially felt really light (drive by wire) and it probably was utilizing servo mechanics. The interesting thing is the wheel got heavier as the vehicle picked up speed. It had a 6+1-speed manual transmission using short strokes gearshift. The car glided to ridiculous speeds with ease. Within 6 seconds I was driving past 55mph..I did not even know I was doing 90mph as it felt like I was doing 30mph. You have to remember that when I drive past 80mph on mamba...the floor will be shaking and the wheel will have a mind of its own and you will have a hard time differentiating between a Californian earthquake and mamba's gasp for air. S4 ...took very tight corners, sport tuned suspension forgives any abrupt manouvers u make. The aluminum chasis definitely improves the power to weight ratio though I wonder if it plays any part in evening out the roughness of the ride.

We popped the bonnet once we got the car back. It was amazing to see a 4.2L V8 engine squeezed into that small engine bay. Look at this picture!!! Just for your info, I think the "V8 4.2" to the Audi badge towards the driver is about only 2 feet!!















Did I also mention that the headlights steer around the corner with you? That was a technology initiated by the BMW 5 series if I remember..

"I got this car so that I have a more binding reason to continue working for the firm to pay for it", reasoned Kris.

Sounds like a good reason to stay on the job.

1 Comments:

Blogger Oriana and Reuben said...

nice! american consumerism at its finest :-)

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home